Friday, September 7, 2007

And the Journey Begins

I have always subscribed to the idea that you cannot really take care of another person unless you know how to take care of yourself, which is why sometime this week I was surprised when I took time enough to take stock of my situation and realized that I have not really been taking care of myself. I always thought it would be easy to be a full time mom. How hard can it be? All I needed to do was stay at home with the kids, feed them, bathe them, stop fights, clean the house, buy groceries, help them with assignments, take them to the doctor's office, blah blah blah.... Before I became a mom I never realized how this litany of daily, seemingly inane chores could all take up so much time and energy, that taking care of oneself is often one of the things that get overlooked.

Looking at myself in the mirror I see a typical mom. Baggy sweats, hair held back by a pony, and a basket of laundry under one arm. Examining my own attributes I find someone who, on the whole, isn't too bad looking. I'm not overweight (or maybe I am, but just very very slightly), my skin is not too bad, and my sweats though faded fits me well enough. In short I look (barely) passable. Nothing wrong with that and yet the image before me is completely wrong too. I know it is a disservice to myself that I am slowly allowing myself to let go. Or maybe I have let go...

Where is the "sexy lady" that caught my husband's eye back in college? Where is the energetic bubbly girl who can't keep her mouth shut (I still can't keep my mouth shut but mostly to nag the hubby and kids)? Where is the girl who once walked with a spring on her step? I know that she must be somewhere inside that body in front of me. And so my journey began and will be chronicled here.

Hello everyone. It's me. I'm a mom on a quest to bring my sexy back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to hear about your journey...maybe I can find some inspiration! :)

Thanks for the comment. I'm off to add you to my Google Reader.

Mom on a Quest said...

Yipee! Now that excites me. Another person to "virtually" bop me on the head whenever I don't feel like continuing this journey. ^_^